- Sat ? Thu 9:00? 9:00
Phone: +971 2 44 38 999
Ask the Experts
Nerve Conduction Studies
What Is (EEG) Electroencephalogram?
- An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test that measures and records the electrical activity of your brain.
- EEG is the most useful and important test in confirming a diagnosis of epilepsy.
- EEG checks for problems associated with loss of consciousness.
- EEG helps determine if a person in a coma is brain-dead.
Before the procedure
- Please bring your insurance card and Emirates ID.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- First, you will meet with a Patient Access Representative (PAR) at the registration desk that will review your medical insurance card, Emirates ID and perform your clinic registration.
- You will then meet with a technician who will explain the procedure in detail, its duration, and also answer any questions you might have.
- All EEG procedure patients must be sleep deprived prior to their appointment.?IMPORTANT NOTE:?Do not sleep six to eight hours before testing in order to optimize sleep during your test.
- Bring a list of your medications with you to your appointment.
The day of the procedure
- The procedure takes 1 ? – 2 hours from check-in to completion.
- Please do not consume caffeine at least 8 hours prior to your appointment. This includes all caffeinated beverages and smoking.
- Eat a regular diet before coming to your appointment.
- Take your regular medications as prescribed by your physician.
- Please refrain from putting any hair care products and make-up (e.g. hair gel, hairspray) prior to your procedure as these will interfere with the recordings.
- Only one family member is allowed into the procedure room while the test is being performed.
- No mobile phone usage is allowed during the test.
- Please be on time for your appointment, otherwise it will be rescheduled.
- After the procedure, all wire leads will be removed.
- You will meet with a Patient Access Representative (PAR) at the registration desk who will review your follow-up appointment schedule.
- Once you return home, remove excess residue from your hair with a comb and oil, and wash with warm water and shampoo.
- Upon discharge, you can return to all your normal activities without restrictions.
- Results will be released by the HIMS (Hospital Information Management System), located on Level P1, after five working days. Results will be sent to the ordering physician. During your follow-up appointment, your physician will discuss with you the results with you in detail.
Expected side effects following EEG
- There are no side effects associated with this procedure.